Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Most People Move Every 6 Years

How Often Do You Move?

According to a recent NAR Survey most people move every six years. In my experience this is pretty accurate but it will be interesting to see how this changes as the Gen X, Y, and Zer's start getting more and more active in the housing market. In an era of instant gratification whether on the Web or TiVo I think this time will become even shorter. People like to be a part of the "next big thing" and this seems to be a different set of values than the pre- and post WWII generations who valued "settling down."

Of course, the next generations make look to rent rather than buy for the same reasons. One thing is clear, the days of looking at your home like you would a stock or other similar investment are on the way out.

NAR President Pat Combs said recently:

“While local conditions vary greatly, a typical owner who bought six years ago is seeing a 45 percent increase in the value of their home. Even so, it isn’t valid to directly compare homeownership with stocks. Although a home is normally a long-term appreciating asset, it is primarily shelter – most owners sell when their needs change, not when the market turns.”

I think those of us who work as Realtors really need to pay heed to these words. We are here not to help people "make a killing in the market" as much as we are here to help people with their changing needs. Service is our primary commodity.

Don't get me wrong, I love to see people make a pile of money when they sell. Likewise, I love to negotiate the best possible deal for my Buyers. Those are both primary aspects of my job. But I am not a stock broker. I am in the service industry.

I am here to help...when you need me!

No comments: