Wednesday, June 20, 2007

IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER - Summer is Here!


I got a sixty-nine Chevy with a 396
Fuelie heads and a Hurst on the floor
She's waiting tonight down in the parking lot
Outside the Seven-Eleven store
Me and my partner Sonny built her straight out of scratch
And he rides with me from town to town
We only run for the money got no strings attached
We shut `em up and then we shut `em down

Tonight, tonight the strip's just right
I wanna blow `em off in my first heat
Summer's here and the time is right
For goin' racin' in the street

For some reason, the first day of summer always reminds me of this song, Bruce Springsteen's classic "Racing in the Streets".

Such a passionate, honest song.

Actually there are Three Things from My Youth that I equate with summer:

1. "Racing in the Streets" - Bruce Springsteen
2. "Schools Out for Summer" - Alice Cooper
3. "Meatballs" starring Bill Murray

Bruce for the passion, Alice for the ANGST and Bill for the love of the ABSURD.

That flick convinced me to get a job as a Camp Counselor at the YMCA Camp Pepin near my parents adopted hometown of Stockholm, Wisconsin.

It was a great decision and I really loved my time there. I remember my feet got so tan (well cherry red more likely!) that the flip flops I wore left left stripes on my feet. It was such a badge of honor.

And the biggest lesson I learned from "Meatballs"? "It Just Doesn't Matter!"

CLICK ON THAT LINK!

Hope you like the clips...and I hope you find your passion this summer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm often surprised by how little the Meatballs cover has to do with the actual movie. It makes Bill Murray look like a player, which is definitely not the case in Meatballs.

TC Realtor said...

That's so true! Bill is hardly a Player in that movie. I heard they added more scenes during filming because anything without Murray in it was pretty lame - as you can guess!